How much can I receive in campaign fund matching?
Qualified candidates for County Legislator may receive a maximum of up to and including $50,000 in public financing for a general election. If a candidate participates in both the primary and general elections; the maximum is $70,000 to cover designated eligible campaign expenditures.
SCCFB will only match donations for Suffolk County Legislators campaigns that are raised from donors that reside within their respective legislative district.
Qualified candidates for County Executive can receive a maximum of $1,000,000. If a candidate participates in both the primary and general elections; the maximum is $1,300,000 to cover designated eligible campaign expenditures.
SCCFB will only match donations for County Executive that are raised from donors that reside within Suffolk County.
How much money can I raise?
Candidates for Suffolk County Legislature (or their committee) must abide by donation limitations under the Charter Law and cannot receive in aggregate more than $1,500 (in aggregate) per donor. Candidates agree not to accept more than $50,000 in an election cycle in total donations for a general election or more than $80,000 for a primary and general election.
If a candidate receives more than $1,500 from a specific donor, the candidate can remedy this by returning the excess funds to the respective donor. Any modifications to transactions must be tracked within the CONTENDER system.
Candidates for Suffolk County Executive (or their committee) must abide by donation limitations under the Charter Law and cannot receive in aggregate more than $25,000 per donor. Candidates agree not to accept more than $1,000,000 for a general election or more than $1,200,000 for a primary and general election in any given cycle.
If a candidate receives more than $25,000 from a specific donor, the candidate can remedy this by returning the funds to the respective donor. Any modifications to transactions must be tracked within the CONTENDER system.
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for public financing a candidate for nomination or election must:
- Be a candidate for Suffolk County Executive or for the Suffolk County Legislature;
- Meet all the requirements of law, including a designation by the Board of Elections petition process, to have his or her name appear on a primary or general election ballot, or in the case of a special election.
- Register to participate and certify agreement to comply with program terms, conditions, and deadlines.
- Designate and register the candidate's principal committee.
- Meet the eligibility threshold
- Have an opponent in the covered election;
- Submit all required financial statements, disclosures, and supporting documentation in accordance with SCCFB policy, and State, and County election laws.
- Candidates and principal committee must maintain such records of receipts and expenditures as required by the Board.
- Comply with all program requirements for contributions and expenditures as set forth below:
Campaign Spending Limits & Restrictions
By entering into the matching funds program candidates who seek to receive public funds agree to abide by spending limits and expenditure restrictions. Spending limit varies by office sought. Click here for more info about qualifying expenditures.
Limits on Public Funds
Candidates may only spend public funds to further their campaign and must agree to return public funds that were not spent in accordance with the County Charter Law.. Click here for more info about qualifying expenditures.
A candidate may only receive matching contributions for eligible expenditures, and shall not exceed the associated maximum thresholds. Candidates who receive matching funds in excess of program limits are required to reimburse the Suffolk County Campaign Finance Board in the amount of such excess funds. Funding is available on a first come first serve basis.
Where do the matching funds come from?
The Fair Elections Matching Fund Program is allotted a share of the annual proceeds received from the operation of video lottery terminals by the Suffolk Regional Off-Track Betting Corporation (OTB) to fund both the Fair Elections Matchable Fund and the Campaign Finance Board operating budget.
Ready to run for office and join the Program? Join the Matching Funds Program today!